Mickelson has 'special' club in mind for Masters
Phil Mickelson has something special planned for Augusta National this year.HUMBLE, Texas -- Phil Mickelson has something special planned for Augusta National this year.
A special club, that is.
Mickelson shot a 71 on Friday at the Houston Open and will get in two more rounds in his final tuneup before the Masters in two weeks.
He shot a 72 on Thursday with a driver in his bag, then took it out and added a 3-wood "that's more like a driver" for his second round. The new 3-wood produces a lower ball flight and more run in the fairway.
So what's the plan for Augusta?
"We have a special club we're making that I'll be hitting on Monday," he said. "So, we'll see."
Mickelson, the 2011 champion, rallied with three straight birdies on the back nine Friday, fueling optimism for the weekend. Two years ago, he was five shots back after two rounds, then shot 63-65 on the weekend to win by three.
"I have a chance now when I show up," he said. "I'm not searching. I'm not trying to find it. I know what it is I'm trying to do and the feelings I'm trying to create to hit certain shots. I have a chance to shoot a low round."
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos