McIlroy (76) takes quad-bogey, bends club
Rory McIlroy had a final-round 6-over 76 on Sunday at the U.S. Open at Merion.ARDMORE, Pa. -- Rory McIlroy had a final-round 6-over 76 on Sunday at the U.S. Open at Merion.
McIlroy's round included two birdies, a double-bogey and a quadruple-bogey. At the par-4 11th hole, where he took the quadruple-bogey, he bent his wedge in frustration after hitting a ball into the water.
"I just hit a bad tee shot into the creek there, and then what you don't want to do as a golfer is follow one mistake with another, and that's what I did," said McIlroy, who took the club out of play. "And obviously I got a bit frustrated.
"I think that's what this tournament does to you. At one point or another it's got the better of you, and it definitely did this weekend."
In the fifth fairway, McIlroy threw his club after a bad shot.
He finished in a tie for 41st at 14-over par.
The 2011 U.S. Open champion said that the pin locations on Sunday were on the "edge" of being unfair.
"I can see the [USGA] trying to protect the scores and stuff," he said. "But the pin position on seven today, for example, was on the back of a slope.
"At least put it a couple of yards down so it's on the flat part of the green. They decided to put it on a ridge. It's a U.S. Open."
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 56 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 20 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos