Flyers looking to step up without Bryz
March 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- While his teammates were on the ice, Ilya Bryzgalov rode the exercise bike.
The hottest goalie in hockey is sidelined with a chip fracture in his right foot.
The Flyers are hoping Bryz can lace up his skates again and play this weekend.
"It's not like JVR (James van Riemsdyk) going down or Prong's (Chris Pronger) out for the season, those were bad blows to our confidence, to our locker room," Flyers left wing Scott Hartnell said.
Flyers coach Peter Laviolette is not worried about this affecting their confidence nor does he feel the need to address the team. After all, the Flyers have been through injury after injury this season and none bigger than losing their captain Chris Pronger.
"I'd rather talk about the players that are available and what we're going to do in Toronto as opposed to the 'woe me' or 'woe us' or 'try and win one for the gipper' speech," Laviolette said.
So for at least tomorrow's game in Toronto, Flyers will go with Sergei Bobrovsky, who will start in net for just the second time in the last six week.
"We have the luxury of having an excellent backup goalie, probably one of the best in the NHL, would be a number one on most teams," center Danny Briere said.
Flyers need him to step up for as long as Bryzgalov is out.
With six games to go, they are fighting for home ice in the second round of the playoffs.
philadelphia flyers, hockey, jeff skversky
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?