JVR back to playoff form for Flyers
VOORHEES, N.J. (AP) - April 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- James van Riemsdyk was face down in front of the crease getting hacked, whacked, pushed and shoved by Martin Brodeur.
The goalie tried everything to stop JVR, and it still wasn't enough.
Playing just his third game since returning from a broken foot, van Riemsdyk had a goal and was robbed of two more in the Philadelphia Flyers' 4-3 overtime win over the New Jersey Devils in Game 1 of their second-round playoff series Sunday.
The former second overall pick in the NHL draft was all over the ice, tormenting the Devils. Van Riemsdyk had two breakaway opportunities after New Jersey tied it at 3 in the third period, but Brodeur made huge saves.
So van Riemsdyk found another way to be a difference-maker. He used his big body to screen Brodeur on Danny Briere's winning goal in overtime.
philadelphia flyers, hockey
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 2 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
2 min ago