Flyers take C Laughton in NHL draft
PHILADELPHIA - June 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Flyers have drafted center Scott Laughton with the 20th pick in the first round.
The Flyers took the 6-foot, 177-pound center from Oshawa of the OHL on Friday night in Pittsburgh. Laughton ranked fifth on Oshawa with 53 points (21-32--53), and third on the team with 101 penalty minutes during the 2011-12 season.
The team also picked up two more picks in this year's draft and a fourth-round selection next year when they traded goalie Sergei Bobrovsky to the Columbus Blue Jackets before the start of Friday's draft.
Laughton represented Canada at the 2011 Under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and scored the game-winning goal in the gold-medal game. He also won gold with Team Ontario at the 2011 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge.
philadelphia flyers, hockey
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks 8 min ago
- Periods of rain today, getting cooler
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95 53 min ago
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Video: Jim Gardner recalls visiting Mandela's cell
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News 16 min ago
- 2 women hospitalized after Schuylkill Expy. crash
- Mattress catches fire in townhouse in Whitemarsh
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Surveillance video shows Christmas package theft
- Police: Teen stole Porsche part from Paul Walker crash 10 min ago
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
8 min ago