Flyers take C Laughton in NHL draft
PHILADELPHIA - June 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Flyers have drafted center Scott Laughton with the 20th pick in the first round.
The Flyers took the 6-foot, 177-pound center from Oshawa of the OHL on Friday night in Pittsburgh. Laughton ranked fifth on Oshawa with 53 points (21-32--53), and third on the team with 101 penalty minutes during the 2011-12 season.
The team also picked up two more picks in this year's draft and a fourth-round selection next year when they traded goalie Sergei Bobrovsky to the Columbus Blue Jackets before the start of Friday's draft.
Laughton represented Canada at the 2011 Under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and scored the game-winning goal in the gold-medal game. He also won gold with Team Ontario at the 2011 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge.
philadelphia flyers, hockey
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Soupy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Cherry Hill East student injured in crash
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Police: Driver under influence crashes into fire dept.
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Appoquinimink teacher arrested for indecent exposure
- Bucks County bear now spotted in Bristol Twp.
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr