Stars sign Jagr to $4.55 million, 1-year deal
DALLAS (AP) - July 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Jaromir Jagr has a new NHL home.
The Dallas Stars signed the five-time scoring champion and former league MVP to a $4.55 million, one-year contract Tuesday.
Dallas general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said the 40-year-old Czech forward still has plenty to offer the franchise.
"I don't think there's any question he still has game in the tank," Nieuwendyk said on a conference call. "He had a terrific season with Philadelphia."
Jagr had 19 goals and 54 points - both career lows - to rank third among Flyers in scoring and had eight points in 11 playoff games. He played in 73 games during the regular season in his return to the NHL after playing in Russia for three years, helping a young team that had dramatically changed its roster with his veteran leadership and his talent.
In NHL history, he ranks first with 16 overtime goals, second with 114 game-winning goals, eighth with 1,653 career points, 11th with 665 goals and 12th with 988 assists with Pittsburgh, Washington, the New York Rangers and Flyers. Jagr is first in goals, assists and points among active players.
"He's still a world-class player," Nieuwendyk said. "For us to bring a player like that to our franchise is a big deal."
Jagr teamed with Mario Lemieux to help lead the Penguins win a pair of Stanley Cup championships as a teenager in his first two NHL seasons in 1991 and 1992. He won an MVP award in 1999.
philadelphia flyers, hockey
- Search for missing 11-year-old boy
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 54 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
54 min ago