Flyers name Giroux 19th captain in team history
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - January 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Flyers have named Claude Giroux the 19th captain in team history.
General manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement Tuesday night. The Flyers say Kimmo Timonen will serve as associate captain, and Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere will serve as alternate captains.
Giroux takes over for defenseman Chris Pronger. Pronger has not played for the Flyers since Nov. 19, 2011 and still suffers from lingering effects of multiple concussions.
Giroux enters his fifth full season with the Flyers. He had 28 goals and 93 points last season, the most points by a Flyer since Eric Lindros had 93 in 1998-99. He was selected by the Flyers in the first round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Giroux has 78 goals and 165 assists for 243 points in In 285 career games.
philadelphia flyers, hockey
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 10 more bodies found inside South Korean ferry 1 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 6 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody! 53 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Woman's body found in Berks County
- Prescription drug ring busted at Aria-Torresdale Hospital
- NJ woman: Dog and TV stolen on 1st date
- Brush fire destroys 25 acres in Burlington Co. 38 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
6 min ago
- It's a boy - again for Jamie Apody!
53 min ago