Flyers name Giroux 19th captain in team history
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - January 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Flyers have named Claude Giroux the 19th captain in team history.
General manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement Tuesday night. The Flyers say Kimmo Timonen will serve as associate captain, and Scott Hartnell and Danny Briere will serve as alternate captains.
Giroux takes over for defenseman Chris Pronger. Pronger has not played for the Flyers since Nov. 19, 2011 and still suffers from lingering effects of multiple concussions.
Giroux enters his fifth full season with the Flyers. He had 28 goals and 93 points last season, the most points by a Flyer since Eric Lindros had 93 in 1998-99. He was selected by the Flyers in the first round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Giroux has 78 goals and 165 assists for 243 points in In 285 career games.
philadelphia flyers, hockey
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos