Giroux leads Flyers to 7-0 blowout of Isles
UNIONDALE, N.Y. (AP) - February 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- The line of Claude Giroux, Matt Read and Jakub Voracek combined for three goals and 10 points Monday, helping the Philadelphia Flyers break a slump with a 7-0 matinee victory over the New York Islanders.
Giroux scored two goals and added an assist, Read had a goal and two assists and Voracek had four assists. Ilya Bryzgalov was solid in making 19 saves for his first shutout of the season and 30th in the NHL.
Zac Rinaldo scored his first goal of the season, and third of his NHL career, when he scored into a vacated net to make it 5-0 at 3:31 of the third. Danny Briere closed by scoring twice in the third period.
New York couldn't sustain its momentum generated by wins over the rival Rangers and Devils in its previous two games following a five-game losing streak. While the Flyers will soon be heading home, the Islanders will begin a three-game trip at Ottawa on Tuesday.
philadelphia flyers, hockey
- Snow today, heavy at times 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded 8 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
9 min ago
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens...
8 min ago