Flyers beat Bruins 3-1 to snap 4-game skid
PHILADELPHIA - March 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- Mike Knuble and Matt Read scored, Ilya Bryzgalov made 33 saves and the Philadelphia Flyers snapped a four-game losing streak with a 3-1 victory over the slumping Boston Bruins on Saturday.
Ruslan Fedotenko added an empty-net goal for the Flyers, who began the day 14th in the Eastern Conference but only six points out of the eighth and final playoff spot. Boston, meanwhile, entered with the third-most points in the conference (46).
Nathan Horton scored for the Bruins, who dropped to 2-4-1 in their last seven games. They had won four in a row against the Flyers and were unbeaten in their previous 10 trips to Philadelphia (9-0-1).
The Flyers scored their fifth straight power-play goal, doing it against the NHL's top penalty-killing unit (91.2 percent), to open the scoring. Knuble one-timed Brayden Schenn's pass from behind the net and beat Tuukka Rask low and on the glove side to give Philadelphia a 1-0 lead with 4:41 left in the first period.
Philadelphia tacked on another goal in the second when Read scored 3:18 into the period. Jakub Voracek found a streaking Read alone between the circles. Read settled the pass, then ripped a slap shot past Rask's glove side.
The Flyers continued to get strong goaltending from Bryzgalov in the second period. His best save came with just more than eight minutes remaining in the period when he sprawled to his left to stone Patrice Bergeron's diving wraparound try.
Read nearly made it 3-0 about 30 seconds after Bryzgalov's save, but his breakaway attempt caromed off the right post.
Boston cut the deficit to 2-1 on Horton's 10th goal of the season 5 minutes into the third. Dennis Seidenberg took the initial shot from the point. It deflected off players and then Bryzgalov's pad before ricocheting to a wide-open Horton, who deposited the puck into the empty net.
Boston went 0 for 2 on the power play and has scored once in its last 16 chances with the man advantage.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 33 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 53 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 46 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 48 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
44 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
33 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
48 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos