Jets surge past Flyers 4-1
WINNIPEG, Manitoba (AP) - April 6, 2013 (WPVI) -- Winnipeg scored four second-period goals in less than seven minutes Saturday and Ondrej Pavelec made 30 saves and the Jets beat the Philadelphia Flyers 4-1 to get back in the Eastern Conference playoff race.
Evander Kane, Grant Clitsome, Kyle Wellwood and Bryan Little scored for the Jets, who snapped a five-game losing streak that had seen them slip from top spot in the Southeast Division to 10th in the conference.
Ruslan Fedotenko scored for the Flyers, who came into the game on a four-game winning streak.
Winnipeg struggled in the first period when it was outshot 13-4.
Fedotenko's long wrist shot from near the blue line beat Pavelec's glove just past the 11-minute mark. The Jets didn't get off a shot in the final 15 minutes of the period.
But Winnipeg rallied in the second as it pounded the Philadelphia net, tying the game when Little passed to Clitsome in close and he snapped it past Ilya Bryzgalov at 12:38.
Bryzgalov had no time to recover when Kane passed to Wellwood from behind the Philadelphia net and he made it 2-1 with a quick wrister 27 seconds later.
It was Kane's turn less than two minutes later when he buried a loose puck after Mike Santorelli was stopped on a wraparound. He still picked up his first point as a Jet on an assist since he was picked up on waivers Wednesday.
Little capped things off when he took off on a breakaway and found the corner with less than a minute left in the period.
Andrew Ladd and Blake Wheeler, who finished with two, picked up assists.
After Bryzgalov allowed four goals on 16 shots, the Flyers pulled their goaltender in the third and put in backup Steve Mason. Mason made his debut since coming to Philadelphia at the trade deadline. He stopped all nine shots he faced.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- Skydiver injured in Washington Twp. accident 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $30K possibly stolen in Target armed robbery 50 min ago
- Person of interest ID'd in hit-and-run
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash 38 min ago
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!