Flyers to honor Boston at tonight's game
PHILADELPHIA - April 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Tonight, the Boston Bruins come to Philadelphia, a little more than a week after the bombings rocked their city.
Their season goes on and so does the difficult process of recovery for the victims of the attack.
The Flyers will show their support with a special tribute.
"You know I think that's great to see that from the Flyers organization to do something like that, even if we had hard battles against Boston the last couple years, but at the end of the day hockey is just a sport," Flyers left wing Simon Gagne said during practice Tuesday morning.
Flyers coach Peter Laviolette was born and raised in Massachusetts and still has family there. His sister was at the Boston Marathon last Monday. She is okay and for that he is grateful.
He is glad the Flyers organization has found a way to help those who were so badly injured in the blasts.
"I think America and the world pour their heart out for the people who were affected by this and anything that we can do to help to try to ease some of that pain, I think is a real positive," Laviolette said.
For the Bruins, it's been an emotional week and they appreciate the support.
"It's a great gesture. I think that we see everybody's participating in this kind of thing, showing how united this country is and there's no better way to do it than sending the message through sports," Bruins team captain Zdeno Chara said.
"They're a classy organization, always have been. I am sure it will be something special for those people that they're honoring," Bruins forward Chris Kelly said.
Among those who will be honored on the ice tonight are Temple University podiatry students. They volunteered at the race expecting to treat sprained ankles and blisters, instead they were called upon to help those injured in the aftermath of the bombs.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, boston marathon bombing, hockey, sarah bloomquist
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm 47 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds 58 min ago
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants 56 min ago
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada 55 min ago
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
47 min ago