Flyers top Senators 2-1 in season closer
OTTAWA (AP) - April 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- Jakub Voracek scored the winner, Steve Mason made 43 saves and the Philadelphia Flyers closed out the season with a 2-1 win over the Ottawa Senators on Saturday night.
Jason Akeson also scored for the Flyers, who failed to advance to the postseason for just the ninth time in franchise history.
Kyle Turris scored for the Senators and Craig Anderson stopped 23 shots.
The loss leaves the Senators sitting eighth in the Eastern Conference. They can finish seventh if they pick up a point against the Boston Bruins in the season finale Sunday.
The Flyers took a 2-1 lead midway through the third when Voracek beat Anderson with a wrist shot to quiet the 20,232 on hand.
The Senators continued to struggle on the power play, going scoreless on five opportunities.
Ottawa tied the game early in the second as Turris was able to find just enough room short side to beat Mason. The goal came as a result of some good work down low by Chris Phillips and Colin Greening.
Phillips picked up his 200th NHL career assist on Turris' goal.
The Senators were the better team in the first, outshooting the Flyers 14-5 and dominating play, but some sloppy play by the Senators in their own end led to Akeson scoring his first NHL goal in his first game in his home city.
Anderson made an initial save on Claude Giroux, but he and defenseman Erik Karlsson were both unable to clear the rebound, leaving the puck waiting for Akeson.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- 2 winners in $636M Mega Millions drawing 1 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 13 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken 53 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
13 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
53 min ago