Flyers, Claude Giroux agree to 8-year extension
PHILADELPHIA - July 5, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Flyers and captain Claude Giroux have agreed to an eight-year extension worth over $64 million.
The deal comes as Giroux was entering the final year of his contract and with the Flyers in the midst of reshaping a team that missed the playoffs last season.
A two-time 25-goal scorer, Giroux is the Flyers' top play-making offensive threat. He had 13 goals and 35 assists for 48 points in 48 games last season.
Overall, he has 291 points (91 goals, 200 assists) in 333 career games spread over six seasons in Philadelphia.
"Claude is a high-quality young man that over the past few years has blossomed into our best player and also one of the top players in the league. We look forward to more and better things to come," said general manager Paul Holmgren, in a statement.
The Flyers have already made several splashes over the past two weeks. They landed this summer's most high-profile free agent by agreeing to terms with Vincent Lecavalier on a four-year contract Tuesday. Lecavalier was available after the Tampa Bay Lightning bought out the remaining years on their captain's contract.
Philadelphia was also aggressive in freeing up salary cap space. The team bought out the contracts of forward Danny Briere, who has agreed to a deal with Montreal, and goalie Ilya Bryzgalov.
The Flyers also announced on Thursday that they will re-sign journeyman center Adam Hall to a one-year deal. The Flyers acquired Hall by claiming him off waivers in April.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 18 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County 49 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos