Flyers bring back Hextall as assistant GM
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Flyers have hired a familiar face, Ron Hextall, as assistant general manager and director of hockey operations.
Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement on Monday, as the Flyers welcomed back one of the most successful goaltenders in franchise history.
Hextall, 49, played 11 seasons for the Flyers, appearing in 489 regular-season games across three different stints with the team (1986-92, 1994-95, and 1998-99). He went 240-172-58 and posted a 2.91 goals-against average. His 45 playoff wins are the most in Flyers history.
Hextall spent the last seven seasons with the Los Angeles Kings as vice president and assistant general manager. The Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2012.
"Ron has a wealth of experience in the front office in various capacities," Holmgren said. "(He) will be a valuable addition to our staff."
Prior to joining the Kings, Hextall spent seven seasons with the Flyers in various roles, including pro scout. His first day with his new role will be Aug. 1.
As a rookie in 1986-87, Hextall went 37-21-6, and led the NHL in games (66) and minutes played (3,799). He was one of the league's best stickhandling goaltenders, and still holds the franchise record for most points by a goaltender in one season (8, 1988-89).
The Flyers went 23-22-3 last season, for 49 points, but failed to make the postseason.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- At least 11 hurt in East Harlem building explosion 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money 38 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- Carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 28 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
10 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New...
6 min ago