Flyers bring back Hextall as assistant GM
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - July 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Flyers have hired a familiar face, Ron Hextall, as assistant general manager and director of hockey operations.
Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren made the announcement on Monday, as the Flyers welcomed back one of the most successful goaltenders in franchise history.
Hextall, 49, played 11 seasons for the Flyers, appearing in 489 regular-season games across three different stints with the team (1986-92, 1994-95, and 1998-99). He went 240-172-58 and posted a 2.91 goals-against average. His 45 playoff wins are the most in Flyers history.
Hextall spent the last seven seasons with the Los Angeles Kings as vice president and assistant general manager. The Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2012.
"Ron has a wealth of experience in the front office in various capacities," Holmgren said. "(He) will be a valuable addition to our staff."
Prior to joining the Kings, Hextall spent seven seasons with the Flyers in various roles, including pro scout. His first day with his new role will be Aug. 1.
As a rookie in 1986-87, Hextall went 37-21-6, and led the NHL in games (66) and minutes played (3,799). He was one of the league's best stickhandling goaltenders, and still holds the franchise record for most points by a goaltender in one season (8, 1988-89).
The Flyers went 23-22-3 last season, for 49 points, but failed to make the postseason.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 21 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 50 min ago
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Carolers to perform for cancer patient in...
22 min ago