Coburn's goal gives Flyers 2-1 win over Rangers
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - October 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Braydon Coburn broke a tie early in the third period, and Steve Mason made the lead stand up as the Philadelphia Flyers beat the New York Rangers 2-1 on Thursday night for their second win of the season.
Matt Read scored a short-handed goal and added an assist, and Mason made 30 saves for Philadelphia (2-7), which snapped a four-game losing streak. The Flyers are still off to their worst start through nine games.
New York's Cam Talbot was solid in net in his NHL debut, making 25 saves in place of injured regular Henrik Lundqvist, but the Rangers (2-6) lost for the fifth time in six games. They have one game left on their season-starting, nine-game road trip before hosting their home opener on Monday.
The Rangers, who got a goal from Brad Richards, thought they had gotten even at 2, but a video replay determined that J.T. Miller kicked the puck into the net.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- At least 11 hurt in East Harlem building explosion 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Screaming man attacks police station, cars
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 45 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of smashed police car, station...
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money 22 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death