Coburn's goal gives Flyers 2-1 win over Rangers
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - October 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Braydon Coburn broke a tie early in the third period, and Steve Mason made the lead stand up as the Philadelphia Flyers beat the New York Rangers 2-1 on Thursday night for their second win of the season.
Matt Read scored a short-handed goal and added an assist, and Mason made 30 saves for Philadelphia (2-7), which snapped a four-game losing streak. The Flyers are still off to their worst start through nine games.
New York's Cam Talbot was solid in net in his NHL debut, making 25 saves in place of injured regular Henrik Lundqvist, but the Rangers (2-6) lost for the fifth time in six games. They have one game left on their season-starting, nine-game road trip before hosting their home opener on Monday.
The Rangers, who got a goal from Brad Richards, thought they had gotten even at 2, but a video replay determined that J.T. Miller kicked the puck into the net.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- Armored car robbed outside bank in Tacony
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 26 min ago
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 10 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 29 min ago
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
10 min ago