Emery, Flyers fight back, beat Devils, 1-0
NEWARK, N.J. - November 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- After being embarrassed by Washington at home just 24 hours earlier, the Philadelphia Flyers found a way to gut out a win on the road, edging the New Jersey Devils 1-0 on Saturday.
Brayden Schenn deflected an Andrej Meszaros shot past New Jersey's Martin Brodeur in the first period and goaltender Ray Emery made 14 saves, as last-place Philadelphia perhaps authored its most complete effort of the season.
"It was a shot by (Wayne Simmonds) there. He tried to get it to the net but the puck bounced to Meszaros," Schenn said. "I just stopped in front of the net and was at the right place at the right time and was able to get a stick on the puck."
The fight-filled 7-0 loss to the Capitals may have just sparked a lifeless team, as Philadelphia peppered Brodeur, starting his season-high third consecutive game, and dominated long stretches of play. Brodeur finished with 20 saves.
New Jersey came up empty on five power-play opportunities, including two in the third period. Emery, who gave up four goals on 15 shots and fought Washington's Braden Holtby a night before, recorded his 15th career shutout.
New Jersey's Jaromir Jagr drew the last penalty and finished with 25 shifts in an effort that wasn't matched by his teammates. Jagr and Brodeur, both 41, were the Devils' best players on a night that saw a modest two-game winning streak end.
On Friday, Emery received the highest total of 29 penalty minutes. He was charged with leaving the goal crease, instigating a fight, and fighting. He was also ejected from the game.
In the melee, a total of 114 penalty minutes were handed out. A night later, the Flyers didn't have a single fight, as they engineered just their fourth win of the season.
New Jersey played without Patrik Elias, who was scratched with an upper body injury.
philadelphia flyers, nhl, hockey
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 31 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ