Penguins place Orpik on IR with concussion
The Pittsburgh Penguins placed defenseman Brooks Orpik on the injured reserve Monday with a concussion.
Orpik was knocked unconscious by Boston's Shawn Thornton in the first period of a 3-2 Bruins' win on Saturday night. Orpik left the ice on a stretcher when Thornton grabbed Orpik from behind, threw him to the ice and punched him.
Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Monday that Orpik was unconscious for "30 seconds or more."
Orpik flew home with the team, but is out indefinitely. Bylsma said Orpik is "doing quite well" but offered no timetable on a possible return.
Pittsburgh recalled defenseman Brian Dumoulin from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League to take Orpik's spot on the roster.
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 32 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 39 min ago
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos