Thornton's hearing on Orpik incident Friday
Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton is scheduled to have an in-person disciplinary hearing with the NHL's department of player safety on Friday in New York.
Thornton was assessed a match penalty for an incident at 11:06 of the first period during Boston's 3-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday at TD Garden. During a stoppage in play, Thornton attacked Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik, slew-footing him to the ice and punching him twice in the head.
Orpik suffered a concussion and was taken off the ice on a stretcher and transported to the hospital. He was released shortly after and cleared to return with the team to Pittsburgh.
Because Thornton received a match penalty, he did not travel with the Bruins on their road trip and is suspended until his hearing. A suspension would be the first of Thornton's career.
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Wawa celebrates 50th birthday with big gifts
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos