Bruins' Thornton appeals 15-game penalty
Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton has appealed his current 15-game suspension for attacking and injuring Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on Dec. 7, agent Anton Thun told ESPN's Pierre LeBrun on Monday.
Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton on Monday appealed his 15-game suspension for attacking and injuring Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik on Dec. 7, according to the NHLPA and Thornton's agent.
The next step for Thornton will be an appeal hearing with commissioner Gary Bettman, which has been scheduled for Friday morning, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun.
If the suspension remains six or more games after Bettman makes a ruling, Thornton can then appeal to an independent arbitrator.
Thornton participated in the Bruins' practice Monday morning.
The NHL's department of player safety handed down its suspension on Saturday after Thornton had his in-person disciplinary hearing Friday at the league's office in New York.
Thornton did not travel with the team on its four-game trip.
"We felt for him being home and not with us," forward Patrice Bergeron said. "He's a great team guy, a veteran leader on our team, so we definitely miss him."
Other teammates voiced their support for Thornton after Monday's practice, as well.
"It's about trying to be there for him. Obviously, he's a friend and a teammate," Bergeron said. "He obviously regrets what happened and would probably like to take that moment back. But that being said, he's living with the consequences and we all need to do that, also, and respect the league's decision."
Orpik suffered a concussion and was removed from the game on a stretcher. He remains out.
Information from ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun was used in this report.
- $10K to $30K stolen in Target armed robbery
- I-95 reopens after car catches fire
- Person of interest ID'd in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Residents displaced after West Philadelphia fire
- 4 injured in Route 295 crash
- Camden teen reported missing
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Oscar Mayer hot dogs recalled due to misbranding
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
- Skydiver in fatal NJ accident ID'd
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos