Iginla faces former team despite hurt finger
A dislocated finger won't keep Boston Bruins forward Jarome Iginla out of the lineup Tuesday night.
Iginla had a pair of assists in helping the Bruins defeat Iginla's former team, the Calgary Flames 2-0 at TD Garden.
He suffered the injury in a first-period fight with the Vancouver Canucks' Ryan Kesler during a 6-2 loss Saturday at Rogers Arena. Iginla's left-hand ring finger was bent the wrong way, but trainers were able to pop it back into place and he finished the game.
X-rays showed there was no break.
"When I first looked at it I would have thought for sure that it was [broken]," Iginla said. "I've never seen anything like it and I've never been through it. I was thrilled and relieved that it wasn't. They put it back and made sure it was stable enough, and I was good to go.
"I think they were a little grossed out when they saw it, and so was I."
Iginla did not practice with the team Monday and was examined by team doctors before he was cleared to play. He has a splint on the finger.
The 36-year-old future Hall of Famer takes pride in the fact he seldom misses games. Prior to his trade from Calgary to the Pittsburgh Penguins last March, Iginla had played in 454 consecutive games, and the reason he missed the game March 27 against Columbus was due to a pending trade.
He didn't miss a game with the Penguins and has played in every one this season for the Bruins.
"You just want to play and play in every game," he said. "I think if you went around the room, everybody, when it's game day you want to be a part of it and it sucks being out of the lineup."
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos