Tavares hurts leg, won't play for Canada again
John Tavares suffered a leg injury during Canada's 2-1 quarterfinal victory against Latvia on Wednesday night in Sochi, Russia, and will miss the remainder of the Olympic tournament.
SOCHI, Russia -- Canada forward John Tavares will miss the rest of the Olympics with a leg injury, dealing a blow to the defending champions' depth.
The New York Islanders captain was injured in a big hit along the boards by Latvia's Arturs Kulda in the second period of Canada's 2-1 victory Wednesday night. Tavares writhed on the ice in pain for several seconds before skating to the bench and going to Canada's dressing room.
Canada coach Mike Babcock didn't disclose the severity of Tavares' injury but said he will miss the team's final two games. The Islanders' team doctors will examine him back in New York.
"I don't know if he's going home right way," Babcock said. "He seemed to be in a fine mood, obviously disappointed he's injured."
Tavares went scoreless in four games for Canada in Sochi while playing with a revolving cast of linemates, but his size and playmaking abilities made him a key forward.
Just four days and two games are left for the Canadians in the Olympic tournament. They face the United States in the semifinals Friday.
The 23-year-old Tavares is the NHL's third-leading scorer with 66 points in 59 games for the Islanders. He has never had significant injury problems in his five-season professional career, playing in 350 of a possible 354 games with New York.
Canada must attempt to win its third gold medal in four Olympics without two of the NHL's best young centers. Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos was unable to recover from a broken right leg in time for the Olympics and was replaced by teammate Martin St. Louis a few days before the Games began.
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower 53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos