Zetterberg has back surgery, will miss 8 weeks
Detroit Red Wings captain Henrik Zetterberg underwent back surgery and will be out eight weeks, the team said Friday.
Zetterberg played just one game for Team Sweden in the Winter Olympics before back pain from a herniated disk forced his withdrawal due to injury.
Back issues have limited Zetterberg to 45 games this season but when he's played he's been one of the league's most effective two-way forwards. He has 48 points this season, including 16 goals. He's also a team-best plus-19.
Zetterberg has 12 more points this season than any other Detroit player. Defenseman Niklas Kronwall is second on the team with 36 points.
The Red Wings, who are eighth in the Eastern Conference standings, haven't missed the postseason since 1990. They finished third in their division last year but were able to beat Anaheim in the first round and then took eventual champion Chicago to seven games before being eliminated.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos