Briere, Giroux to play in Germany amid lockout
Centers Claude Giroux and Daniel Briere of the Philadelphia Flyers are both Berlin-bound in the German hockey league for the duration of the NHL lockout.Centers Claude Giroux and Daniel Briere of the Philadelphia Flyers are both Berlin-bound in the German hockey league for the duration of the NHL lockout.
The big-name Canadians became the lastest NHL players to join a European team by signing with Eisbaren Berlin of the DEL and will play with the Polar Bears throughout the lockout.
Veteran agent Pat Brisson of CAA Sports, who represents both players, confirmed the signings to ESPN.com.
Giroux, third in NHL scoring last season with 93 points (28-65), also had interest from teams in Russia, Switzerland and the Czech Republic, but chose Berlin.
Flyers teammate Matt Read is headed abroad as well, joining Sodertalje in Sweden, his agent, Neil Sheehy, told ESPN.com Friday.
Read had 24 goals and 23 assists in 79 games with the Flyers last season, his first in the NHL.
Also on Thursday, Anton Volchenkov joined the growing list of NHL players to get a deal in Europe, signing to play in his native Russia. The New Jersey Devils defenseman reached agreement with KHL club Topedo, agent Jay Grossman confirmed to ESPN.com.
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 53 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 25 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man 9 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death 58 min ago
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 25 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- DA: Montco man gave alcohol at 'Sweet 16' party
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 49 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
49 min ago
- Saving with 6abc: Shopping seasonally
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos