Mich. Senate OKs bill to help build Wings home
The Michigan Senate approved legislation Wednesday to help finance a downtown Detroit project that would include a new home for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.LANSING, Mich. -- The Michigan Senate approved legislation Wednesday to help finance a downtown Detroit project that would include a new home for the NHL's Detroit Red Wings.
Team owner Mike Ilitch this week announced plans for a $650 million multiuse development, which would include an events center where Red Wings games could be held. He has said for years he'd like a new arena for the team, which now plays at the aging Joe Louis Arena.
The bill approved by the Senate would allow use of tax dollars collected by the city's Downtown Development Authority for the project. DDAs capture shares of local tax revenue to support development activities such as marketing and buying property.
Senate Democratic leader Gretchen Whitmer opposed the measure as a drain on funding for Detroit's public schools.
The city's DDA has been allowed for nearly two decades to pay down general obligation bonds with about $12.8 million a year that otherwise would have gone to education, she said. Now that those bonds are paid off, the bill would tap that same revenue stream for Ilitch's project instead of finally steering the money back to education.
"This is a direct subsidy by school kids to allow a billionaire to build a hockey arena," Whitmer said. "That's the Republican agenda we all know and love. ... It makes me sick. I hear my colleagues say, 'Oh, this is for Detroit and we're all in favor of Detroit now,' because one billionaire called you."
Senate Majority Leader Randy Richardville said the Ilitch project would be an economic boon for Detroit and Michigan, pumping more than $1.9 million into the economy and creating about 8,300 construction jobs.
The bill was approved on a 27-11 vote and returned to the House. To take effect, it must be enacted before the 2011-12 session ends this month.
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street 11 min ago
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila. after-hours club 11 min ago
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary 11 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
11 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street
11 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside N. Phila....
11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos