Blue Jackets' Anisimov leaves ice on stretcher
Columbus Blue Jackets center Artem Anisimov was alert and moving when he was taken off the ice on a stretcher Thursday night after being struck in the head by Detroit Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey.DETROIT -- Columbus forward Artem Anisimov was immobilized and taken off the ice on a stretcher during the second period of the Blue Jackets' 3-2 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.
Anisimov fell to the ice behind the Detroit goal along with Red Wings defenseman Kyle Quincey 3:48 into the second period, and Quincey's arm appeared to connect with Anisimov's head as they hit the ice. Anisimov had limited movement during an extended delay before being carried off the ice.
"He's alert and stable," Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards said. "Obviously, that's great news."
The 24-year-old Russian center was taken to the Detroit Medical Center as a precaution because he said his head hurt.
"He'll be kept in the hospital overnight for observation," Richards said. "The plan is right now to send him back to Columbus (Friday) where he can see our doctors."
The medical staff for both teams helped put Anisimov on a backboard before he was taken off the ice. The Joe Louis Arena crowd was quiet while Anisimov was carefully being prepared to be put on a stretcher. Anisimov was cheered when he was wheeled off the ice.
Quincey skated off the ice following the collision and went to Detroit's dressing room with an injured left leg.
Anisimov was acquired from the Rangers in the offseason trade that sent Rick Nash to New York. He has four goals and six points in 15 games this season, his first with the Blue Jackets. He averaged 36 points the previous three seasons.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 23 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 53 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 18 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos