Canes activate veteran Ruutu, claim Boychuk
The Carolina Hurricanes have activated forward Tuomo Ruutu from the injured non-roster list and claimed former first-round draft pick Zach Boychuk off waivers.RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Carolina Hurricanes have activated forward Tuomo Ruutu from the injured non-roster list and have claimed former first-round draft pick Zach Boychuk off waivers.
The team also placed defenseman Joe Corvo on injured reserve retroactive to March 16 as part of a series of moves announced Thursday before its game against New Jersey.
Ruutu will make his season debut after sitting out since having hip surgery in December. The physical forward had 18 goals and 16 assists last season.
The Hurricanes waived Boychuk in January for the purpose of sending him to their AHL affiliate in Charlotte, but he was claimed by Pittsburgh.
After the Penguins waived him in February, he was claimed by Nashville. The Predators waived him earlier this week.
Carolina took Boychuk in the first round in 2008.
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos