Canes' Pitkanen suffers apparent leg injury
Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen left Tuesday night's game against Washington early with an apparent leg injury.RALEIGH, N.C. -- Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Joni Pitkanen left Tuesday night's game against Washington early with an apparent leg injury.
Pitkanen did not return after he left with 1:57 left in the second period. Coach Kirk Muller did not know the extent of the injury, which he said was either an ankle or heel.
Pitkanen was hurt when he raced down the ice while trying to beat an icing call and went hard into the boards with the Capitals' Troy Brouwer near him.
He was on the ice in obvious pain and was taken off on a stretcher with his hands covering his face.
Pitkanen -- who missed 14 games during the past two months with a lower-body injury -- has one goal and eight assists in 22 games.
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser 43 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- 76ers owner Harris calls 19-win season 'success'
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Bride gets help after banquet closes
- Worth the wait: Easter treats in Philadelphia
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos