Pitkanen out for season due to broken heel
The Carolina Hurricanes say defenseman Joni Pitkanen will miss the rest of the season with a broken heel.RALEIGH, N.C. -- The Carolina Hurricanes say defenseman Joni Pitkanen will miss the rest of the season with a broken heel.
General manager Jim Rutherford disclosed the severity of Pitkanen's injury Wednesday.
Pitkanen was hurt with 1:57 left in the second period of a 5-3 loss to Washington on Tuesday night. He raced down the ice while trying to beat an icing call and went hard into the boards with the Capitals' Troy Brouwer near him.
He was on the ice in obvious pain and was taken off on a stretcher with his hands covering his face.
The Hurricanes say he broke his left calcaneus bone and is expected to be out 10-12 weeks.
Pitkanen has one goal and eight assists in 22 games for the Hurricanes, who have lost nine of 10.
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del. 19 min ago
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark,...
19 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos