Barclays to host Islanders-Devils in preseason
The New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils will play a preseason game at Barclays Center in September.NEW YORK -- The New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils will play a preseason game at Barclays Center in September.
It will be the first NHL game ever played in Brooklyn, where the Islanders will move in 2015-16. The Islanders and Devils were slated to play at Barclays Center last preseason, but the entire exhibition schedule was erased due to the NHL lockout.
The Islanders, who have not made the postseason since 2006-07, hold the eighth and final postseason spot with 42 points entering Tuesday's action.
"Over the past 40 years, Nassau Coliseum has been one of the best buildings to attend and watch a hockey game," Islanders general manager Garth Snow said. "I'm excited for our fans to bring that energy and have the ability to enjoy an Islanders game while taking advantage of Barclays Center."
The game will be played Sept. 21. Barclays Center, home to the NBA's Brooklyn Nets, opened last year.
"We are delighted to give Brooklyn a sneak peak at its future hometown NHL team," Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark said. "There's a lot of excitement about professional hockey bound for Brooklyn, where the Islanders have a terrific opportunity to grow their fan base and build their brand.
"The team is showing great resurgence this season."
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 9 min ago
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos