Wings' Abdelkader gets 2 games for Lydman hit
Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader received a two-game suspension for his hit on Anaheim's Toni Lydman.
Abdelkader hit Lydman 15:11 into the second period of the Ducks' Game 3 win, appearing to leave his feet and make contact with Lydman's head. Abdelkader received a five-minute charging major and game misconduct.
The suspension means Abdelkader must miss Games 4 and 5 of the first-round playoff series between the Red Wings and Ducks. Anaheim leads the series 2-1.
Lydman didn't return to the game and Anaheim coach Bruce Boudreau said he was suffering from headaches and didn't practice Sunday. He is doubtful for Monday's Game 4. Lydman has a history of concussions.
"We just want our guy to be okay," Boudreau said.
The 26-year-old Abdelkader played all 48 games during the regular season for Detroit, scoring 10 goals with three assists. He also scored a goal in Game 2 against Anaheim, and the Red Wings went on to win 5-4 in overtime.
Information from ESPN The Magazine's Craig Custance and The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 18 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel 12 min ago
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 50 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 41 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst 44 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious' 55 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Enjoy the Easter sunshine!
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos