Bruins defensemen may miss series opener
The Boston Bruins could be without some key veteran defensemen when they begin their Eastern Conference semifinals series with the New York Rangers on Thursday at TD Garden.
Andrew Ference (lower body) and Wade Redden (lower body) missed Monday's epic 5-4 overtime win over the Maple Leafs in Game 7, and Dennis Seidenberg (undisclosed injury) was able to play only 37 seconds.
On Tuesday, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli indicated to the media that Boston might be without Ference, Redden and Seidenberg and could have a "different look" for Thursday's game.
Later in the day, the Bruins recalled defenseman Torey Krug from Providence.
"Maybe we have a different look than we're used to, as far as puck transporting," Chiarelli said. "Maybe that's a good thing, but that's what we're going to be. We're calling up Torey Krug today to come along for the ride, so you may see him at a point. Those three D, if they're in the lineup, give us a little different complexion back there."
Chiarelli also praised coach Claude Julien for how he handled Bartkowski, who played 24:51, and Hamilton, who logged 21:08 on ice.
"I don't have any updates," Chiarelli said. "[Seidenberg], as you know, played 37 seconds last night and, obviously, is injured. He's been a playoff warrior for us, so if he's not in, we'll miss him. But I saw two really good performances in those young players, the two rookie players; that's another testament to coaching, that they were able to integrate these two guys amongst the five D core, in [Bartkowski] and Dougie."
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos