Horton (upper body) hurt, status uncertain
The Boston Bruins not only lost Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals to the Chicago Blackhawks 4-3 in triple overtime Wednesday night, they also lost top-line forward Nathan Horton to an upper-body injury in the first OT.
CHICAGO -- The Boston Bruins not only lost Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals to the Chicago Blackhawks 4-3 in triple overtime Wednesday night, they also lost top-line forward Nathan Horton to an upper-body injury in the first OT.
After the game, Bruins coach Claude Julien did not have an update on Horton's condition.
"Nothing right now because there's nothing to say because our doctors haven't finalized the evaluation properly," Julien said.
During a Bruins power play in the first overtime, a scramble ensued in front of the Chicago net, and Horton was battling for position with Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson when he appeared to hurt his shoulder. The play continued, but Horton skated to the bench hunched over in pain and went right to the locker room. He did not return.
If Horton's injury is serious enough to keep him out of the lineup, it will be a major loss for the Bruins because their top line of Milan Lucic, David Krejci and Horton has been a powerhouse in the Stanley Cup playoffs, combining for 57 points. Horton has seven goals and 11 assists for 18 points in the postseason.
Game 2 is Saturday night in Chicago.
"It sucks," Lucic said. "Everyone knows how big of a player he is for us, especially in the playoffs. He's also shown that he can score big goals at big times."
After Horton's injury, Tyler Seguin was inserted onto that line.
"You hope that it's not [serious]," Lucic said. "There's two days of rest here, and you hope he can get himself ready to go on Saturday night."
During the 2011 Stanley Cup finals, Horton suffered a series-ending concussion when he was on the receiving end of a late hit by the Vancouver Canucks' Aaron Rome in Game 3 in Boston. The Bruins used that as motivation en route to the Cup title.
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 54 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911 10 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
54 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos