Edmonton prospect missing, feared drowned
Police say an Edmonton Oilers prospect has been reported missing and is feared drowned.
RIGA, Latvia -- Police say an Edmonton Oilers prospect has been reported missing and is feared drowned.
Kristians Pelss disappeared Tuesday, and local media reported that the 20-year-old player jumped off a bridge in central Riga into the fast-flowing Daugava River.
Rescue services spokeswoman Viktorija Sembele says her department received a call at 1:40 a.m. Tuesday that a man had jumped from the bridge. Police began an investigation.
Police spokesman Tom Sadovskis said Friday police had "suspicions" the man on the bridge had been Pelss, but declined to say why or give further information.
Pelss arrived home in Riga on Monday after playing last season with Edmonton's top minor league team, the Oklahoma City Barons of the AHL.
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 47 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos