Edmonton prospect missing, feared drowned
Police say an Edmonton Oilers prospect has been reported missing and is feared drowned.
RIGA, Latvia -- Police say an Edmonton Oilers prospect has been reported missing and is feared drowned.
Kristians Pelss disappeared Tuesday, and local media reported that the 20-year-old player jumped off a bridge in central Riga into the fast-flowing Daugava River.
Rescue services spokeswoman Viktorija Sembele says her department received a call at 1:40 a.m. Tuesday that a man had jumped from the bridge. Police began an investigation.
Police spokesman Tom Sadovskis said Friday police had "suspicions" the man on the bridge had been Pelss, but declined to say why or give further information.
Pelss arrived home in Riga on Monday after playing last season with Edmonton's top minor league team, the Oklahoma City Barons of the AHL.
- Camden teen reported missing 42 min ago
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite 9 min ago
- Flyers rally to beat Rangers 4-2, even series
- Woman's body found in Berks County ID'd 24 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- Photos: Jamie Apody welcomes Baby Chase!
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos