Bergeron played Game 6 with broken rib
Following Monday night's Stanley Cup finals loss to the Chicago Blackhawks, Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron told reporters that he had been playing with a broken rib and torn rib cartilage, as well as a separated shoulder suffered during Monday's Game 6.
BOSTON -- Following Monday night's Stanley Cup finals loss to the Chicago Blackhawks, Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron told reporters that he had been playing with a broken rib and torn rib cartilage, as well as a separated shoulder suffered during Monday's Game 6.
Bergeron didn't specify how long he has been playing with the broken rib and torn cartilage, but he said he continued to play after the shoulder injury Monday.
In 24 shifts totaling 17:45 of ice time Monday night, the star center was 5-for-11 on faceoffs and registered two hits. During Game 5 on Saturday in Chicago, Bergeron left the ice in the second period and later was taken to an area hospital. Bergeron said the reason for the visit was concern about potential damage to his spleen.
"I think it was more they were worried about my spleen being hurt, that's why I went to the hospital: check on my spine, muscles and so forth," Bergeron said. "Obviously, I would have liked to stay in there, but I was obviously going through a lot of pain."
"The year we won , he was doing the same thing: fighting through everything," Tyler Seguin said of Bergeron. "Obviously, guys have bumps and bruises, but he's a guy that you obviously say is the heart and soul of our team. He wears that 'B' with a lot of pride."
Bergeron wasn't the only Bruins player fighting injury.
Forward Nathan Horton had also been playing with a separated shoulder, according to a team source.
Star defenseman Zdeno Chara, who was on the ice for 10 of the last 12 Chicago goals, played through "bumps and bruises," but no serious injury, a team source said.
ESPNBoston.com's Joe McDonald and James Murphy contributed to this report.
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 28 min ago
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Residents forced to vacate East Oak Lane condo
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls
- High winds cause power outages in Wilmington
- Rescue crews pull woman from Schuylkill River
- Crews investigate hazmat situation at Philadelphia hotel
- Health officials: Drexel student died from meningitis
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos