Agent: Sabres to buy out Gerbe's contract
The Buffalo Sabres have told forward Nathan Gerbe he has been placed on waivers for the purpose of having the final year of his contract bought out, the player's agent says.
Jordan Neumann says he was informed by email of the Sabres' plans on Wednesday, and added the team told Gerbe by phone. The move caught Neumann by surprise after general manager Darcy Regier indicated several times he had no plans to buy out any contracts.
Gerbe was set to make $1.85 million next season. He had 72 points (29 goals, 43 assists) in 188 career games.
Buffalo also re-signed journeyman forward Matt Ellis to a two-year contract. If Ellis doesn't play with the Sabres, the team is counting on him to serve as captain at AHL Rochester.
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos