Lidstrom to have number retired by Wings
Former Detroit Red Wings star Nicklas Lidstrom will have his No. 5 retired in a ceremony next season.
The Red Wings announced Thursday that Lidstrom will be honored before a March 6 game against the Colorado Avalanche. Lidstrom retired last year after a career in which he won four Stanley Cups with Detroit.
Lidstrom was a seven-time winner of the Norris Trophy, which goes to the league's best defenseman.
He was named captain of the Red Wings before the 2006-07 season, and when Detroit beat Pittsburgh in the 2008 finals, he became the first European-born captain to lead his team to a Stanley Cup.
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 9 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos