U.S. to open hockey worlds against Belarus
The United States will play host Belarus on the opening day of the 2014 hockey world championship.
ZURICH -- The United States will play Belarus on the opening day of the 2014 hockey world championship.
The International Ice Hockey Federation says the May 9-25 tournament will begin with 2013 runner-up Switzerland playing 2012 champion Russia in the same eight-team group.
Sweden will start its title defense against Denmark on May 10 in the other group, which includes Canada.
Belarus is staging the tournament at two stadiums in Minsk: the 15,000-seat Minsk Arena and the Chizhovka Arena, which is scheduled to open in November.
The annual event will take place less than three months after the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Snow is turning the ground white again!
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos