Canucks' Kassian gets 8 games for high stick
The NHL suspended Vancouver Canucks forward Zack Kassian for eight games for his high stick on the Oilers' Sam Gagner.
Kassian's suspension will include the last three preseason games and the first five games of the regular season.
Kassian received a double minor on the play during Saturday's game. Gagner suffered a broken jaw and didn't return. He will miss the start of the regular season.
"I had no intention of slashing him in the face," Kassian said Monday after his hearing with NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, according to TSN. "It was definitely accidental and hopefully he gets back sooner than later."
Gagner shared news of his recovery on Twitter Monday night, writing: "Thank you all for the support. Excited to come back stronger and hopefully better looking than a few days ago."
Weise will sit out the remaining three games of the preseason but is eligible to return for the regular season.
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 30 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 57 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 21 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
38 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos