Clarkson banned 10 games for joining fight
Toronto Maple Leafs forward David Clarkson, who left the bench to join a fight during Sunday's game, received a 10-game suspension Monday from the league.
NEW YORK -- Toronto forward David Clarkson was suspended 10 regular-season games without pay for leaving the bench to take part in a fight during the Maple Leafs' game against the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday night.
Clarkson's automatic suspension, which doesn't include the rest of the preseason, results from the game misconduct penalty he received for joining the brawl during the third period of Toronto's 5-3 win over Buffalo. The NHL announced the discipline on Monday night.
Scott is 6-foot-8 and 270 pounds, while Kessel goes 6-0, 202 pounds.
The Maple Leafs quickly moved in to protect their teammate -- including Clarkson coming off the bench -- and the melee was on. The Maple Leafs' Jonathan Bernier and Sabres' Ryan Miller capped the proceedings with a goaltender bout. They exchanged punches away from the main scrum as the Air Canada Centre crowd roared its approval.
When order was finally restored, gloves, sticks and equipment were strewn across the ice and the benches were depleted. When all was said and done, the teams combined for 239 penalty minutes.
A mildly interesting preseason game suddenly had hockey fans circling Nov. 15 on their calendars for when the Atlantic Division rivals next meet.
Clarkson signed a $36.75 million, seven-year contract with Toronto in the offseason and will forfeit $269,230.80 of his salary. He is eligible to make his Leafs debut Oct. 25 at Columbus.
Kessel, who was issued a match penalty, was suspended for three games for his stickwork.
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman 23 min ago
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 48 min ago
- Police car crash leads to chase in N. Phila. 53 min ago
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 21 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos