Clarkson banned 10 games for joining fight
Toronto Maple Leafs forward David Clarkson, who left the bench to join a fight during Sunday's game, received a 10-game suspension Monday from the league.
NEW YORK -- Toronto forward David Clarkson was suspended 10 regular-season games without pay for leaving the bench to take part in a fight during the Maple Leafs' game against the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday night.
Clarkson's automatic suspension, which doesn't include the rest of the preseason, results from the game misconduct penalty he received for joining the brawl during the third period of Toronto's 5-3 win over Buffalo. The NHL announced the discipline on Monday night.
Scott is 6-foot-8 and 270 pounds, while Kessel goes 6-0, 202 pounds.
The Maple Leafs quickly moved in to protect their teammate -- including Clarkson coming off the bench -- and the melee was on. The Maple Leafs' Jonathan Bernier and Sabres' Ryan Miller capped the proceedings with a goaltender bout. They exchanged punches away from the main scrum as the Air Canada Centre crowd roared its approval.
When order was finally restored, gloves, sticks and equipment were strewn across the ice and the benches were depleted. When all was said and done, the teams combined for 239 penalty minutes.
A mildly interesting preseason game suddenly had hockey fans circling Nov. 15 on their calendars for when the Atlantic Division rivals next meet.
Clarkson signed a $36.75 million, seven-year contract with Toronto in the offseason and will forfeit $269,230.80 of his salary. He is eligible to make his Leafs debut Oct. 25 at Columbus.
Kessel, who was issued a match penalty, was suspended for three games for his stickwork.
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep 44 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 57 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Mom to surrender after daughter, 11, shot and killed 48 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 50 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
34 min ago
- Art of Aging: Retirement opportunities
31 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos