Maple Leafs place defenseman Liles on waivers
The Toronto Maple Leafs have placed defenseman John-Michael Liles on waivers as their opening-night roster begins to come into focus.
Liles's departure seemed certain after Cody Franson signed with Toronto. If he's not claimed by another NHL team, Liles could be assigned to the AHL's Toronto Marlies.
The 32-year-old has a $3.875 million salary-cap hit. If he's sent to the minors, $925,000 of that would come off the Leafs' cap under the new collective bargaining agreement.
In addition to Liles, the Leafs put forwards Trevor Smith and Troy Bodie, defenseman T.J. Brennan and Korbinian Holzer, and goaltender Drew MacIntyre on waivers with the intention of sending them to the AHL.
Those moves make it likely that 19-year-old defenseman Morgan Rielly will be on the team to start the regular season.
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 59 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos