Tortorella: Friendship with Richards 'damaged'
Vancouver Canucks coach John Tortorella revealed he has one major regret from his days in New York: his "damaged" relationship with veteran center Brad Richards.
Tortorella said he has not spoken to the 33-year-old former Conn Smythe Trophy winner in months.
"It kills me. It kills me," Tortorella told TSN in a candid television interview. "That kid there ... that kid there, I grew up with him. I learned a lot from him in Tampa. We grew up together in Tampa. I don't know where [the relationship] went -- see now you got me talking about him -- but yeah, it's been damaged."
Before the duo's time together in New York, Tortorella coached Richards in Tampa Bay, where they won the Stanley Cup in 2004. Tortorella was instrumental in helping the Rangers land Richards during free agency in 2011, but the relationship became strained last season as Richards' play regressed.
Richards was demoted to the fourth line before ultimately being benched for the last two games of the playoffs this past spring. Tortorella was fired following the team's second-round exit.
Tortorella admitted the defunct relationship still bothers him and that he considers it a regret.
"Yeah, that's one. That's a big one," Tortorella said. "When the game's done, relationships are all you have left. That's important to me. That's a tough one for me."
Tortorella also revealed he was taken aback to learn how much his team had soured on him toward the end.
"No one came to me and said, 'God, you're kicking the hell out of us, you've got to back off,' and that kind of caught me back," Tortorella said.
He then characterized his dismissal by Rangers general manager Glen Sather as abrupt and said he's still unsure of how it all went down.
"I'm not sure exactly what happened," Tortorella said. "My general manager told me, 'You lost the team, you're outta here.'"
Tortorella later was named coach of the Canucks, swapping roles with his successor in New York, Alain Vigneault.
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 44 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 49 min ago
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
44 min ago
- Kevin Grow suits up with Harlem Globetrotters
55 min ago
- Milder Monday
47 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos