Gretzky statues vandalized in hometown
Two new statues of hockey great Wayne Gretzky have been vandalized in his hometown.BRANTFORD, Ontario -- Two new statues of hockey great Wayne Gretzky have been vandalized in his hometown.
Police in Brantford, Ontario, say they are studying a video sent to them of Monday's overnight vandalism, which involved defacing the statues with spray paint.
Police say there have been no arrests. The statues were publicly unveiled Sunday outside the newly renovated Wayne Gretzky Sports Center. Crews were at the scene Tuesday, cleaning off the spray paint.
The statues depict Gretzky holding the Stanley Cup over his head in victory and his parents at his side in his youth.
Brantford Mayor Chris Friel calls the vandalism "disgraceful" and a "crime against the community."
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment 52 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Pedestrian struck, killed by truck in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Stabbing at Hamilton Mall in Mays Landing
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Lumberton brush fire considered 'suspicious'
- Comfortable, but breezy.
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos