Giroux predicts Flyers will make postseason
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to the worst start in franchise history and have failed to score more than two goals in a game this season. But Claude Giroux still thinks that the last-place Flyers can make the playoffs.
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to the worst start in franchise history and have failed to score more than two goals in a game this season.
But Claude Giroux still thinks that the last-place Flyers can make the playoffs.
"We're not far off at all," Giroux, the Flyers' 25-year-old captain, said after Monday's practice, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. "How many points are we out, six? To think of the start that we had and we're that close.
"We never thought about not making the playoffs. We've got to go game by game and we will make the playoffs."
The Flyers (1-7-0) enter Tuesday mired in last place in the Metropolitan Division with a league-low two points. Off to the worst eight-game start in franchise history, Philadelphia has managed just 11 goals -- tied for the lowest in the NHL -- through its first eight games.
Coach Peter Laviolette was fired three games into the season, but the Flyers have gone 1-4-0 under new coach Craig Berube.
Giroux, a two-time All-Star who has not scored a goal this season, has publicly stated on multiple occasions that the Flyers can rebound from their dreadful start.
Giroux thinks the weeklong layoff is a good thing for the Flyers.
"It's good to get your mind off it a little bit and kind of relax," Giroux said, according to the Daily News. "It was go, go, go and then panic button. I think we were playing like that, too. We'll reflect on how we were playing. We'll do more video. I think [the break] is good for us."
Giroux has led the Flyers in points in each of the past three seasons but has just three assists through eight games.
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington 38 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash 6 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 6 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 6 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
6 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
6 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos