Monahan, 6th pick in '13, stays with Flames
Sean Monahan will remain with the Calgary Flames this season instead of being returned to his junior club.
A junior-eligible player is allowed to play up to nine games in the NHL without costing the team a year of his entry-level contract. Monahan has six goals and three assists in his first nine games.
"We feel good about the decision we've made," general manager Jay Feaster said Wednesday. "We believe his development is best served with us. I think he's a unique individual ... in his determination. He's a 19-year-old going on 29 years old."
Calgary selected Monahan sixth overall in the June draft after he played three seasons with the OHL's Ottawa 67's. The Flames have not indicated whether Monahan would be released to play for Team Canada at the 2014 world junior championship.
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Video: Train nearly hits senator
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos