Devils' Brodeur would mull trade if needed
Martin Brodeur wants to lead New Jersey back to the postseason. But, if his Devils are not a playoff contender, he'd at least mull the possibility of accepting a trade.
The future Hall of Fame goaltender told the Newark Star-Ledger on Tuesday that he'd consider waiving the no-trade clause in his contract if the Devils were keen on making a deal.
"I hope it will never happen, but if there is a situation that could be really fun for me and really good for the Devils, why not? It's not like I'm going to play 25 more years here," Brodeur told the Star-Ledger.
Brodeur hopes that scenario never arrives, though.
"I'm not looking for that. I want to get back into the playoffs with this team and try to do something with this team. I would say 99 percent I'd say no right now," Brodeur said, according to the Star-Ledger. "But for a little bit of time? Nobody is going to remember it, really. It wouldn't be that big of a deal."
Brodeur confirmed to ESPN.com that his focus is on the Devils.
"I want to be in the playoffs with the Devils and nobody else," Brodeur said. "But if it doesn't happen, maybe I would look at an opportunity I guess. But that's something for later in the season, if at all."
Brodeur also told ESPN.com that he would consider it only if Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello approached him about it.
"It would have to come from Lou, not from me, I would never ask Lou that," Brodeur said. "He would have to ask me. I would do whatever Lou thought was right."
The Devils are in 13th place in the Eastern Conference with a record of 3-7-4; they remain four points back from the last playoff spot.
ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun contributed to this report.
- Family of injured Harrah's racer sues casino 23 min ago
- Snow plow overturns on I-95 in Delaware 2 min ago
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words 18 min ago
- Obama announces sanctions against Russians 2 min ago
- Earthquake strongly felt across Los Angeles
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- Video: Swan attacks elderly woman in Berks Co.
- Photos: Pictures from Phila. St. Patrick's Parade
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos