Gordon's sponsor signs 1-yr contract extension
Jeff Gordon and Hendrick Motorsports announced a contract extension Thursday through 2014 with sponsor AARP and AARP Foundation.TALLADEGA, Ala. -- Jeff Gordon and Hendrick Motorsports announced a contract extension Thursday through 2014 with sponsor AARP and AARP Foundation.
The AARP Foundation signed a three-year deal in 2011 with its "Drive to End Hunger" campaign to be Gordon's primary sponsor. It became the first cause-related sponsorship to sign on as primary sponsor for a major race team.
The one-year extension gives Drive to End Hunger the opportunity to continue addressing hunger issues among elder Americans.
"We are excited to build on the great work of these last two years to help the nearly nine million older Americans who face the threat of hunger.
Gordon, a four-time NASCAR champion, has helped deliver food to food banks and has actively supported the cause since partnering with the campaign. The initiative has led to the donation of more than 13 million meals to hungry older Americans and raised more than $17 million through corporate and individual support.
"It has been an honor and a pleasure to be part of Drive to End Hunger these last two seasons, and I'm excited to keep pushing in the fight against older adult hunger," Gordon said. "Going around the country -- especially during race weeks -- I have been constantly reminded about the generosity of NASCAR fans.
"I got to see race fans reaching for their wallets, packaging meals for local food banks, and texting donations to help millions of older Americans who face the threat of hunger every day. I can't wait to see what we can do the next two years."
Drive to End Hunger is the primary sponsor of Gordon's No. 24 Chevrolet in 22 Sprint Cup Series races.
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 54 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos