Philadelphia Union prep for home crowd
(WPVI) -- It's the sound of an excited new fan base.
There was a great show of support at City Hall this afternoon, cheering on our Philadelphia Union. The city's new Major League Soccer team has been busy practicing all week for tomorrow's home debut against DC United.
"We're a young team&we got nothing to lose, we just got to go out there and play," Union player Michael Orozco said.
The team lost 2-0 in their opener two weeks ago in Seattle, but for an expansion team they were quite competitive and got a ton of support from fans who traveled across the country to check out the new team.
"We're excited to get back out there. I think they got a glimpse of us in Seattle, but I think we're going to come home and put a better performance together and hopefully, come out with a win," Union player Chris Seitz said.
The team's brand new stadium in Chester is not quite finished yet, but they have started putting in the seats. Because it is not ready for fans just yet, they'll play their first two home games at Lincoln Financial Field, the home of Philadelphia's other 'football' team.
"I've never been to a football game, just to a football stadium. It's very exciting for me," Orozco said.
"It's a different atmosphere than other sport in the US. Football, baseball, it's a different atmosphere than a soccer game, where it's a rowdy, there's chants going on, there's never a dull moment," Seitz said.
Something lots of fans will soon find out. More than 30,000 tickets have already been sold for tomorrow's game.
(Copyright 2010 Philadelphia Union. Reprinted by permission)
philadelphia union, soccer, jamie apody
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow 44 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak 4 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg 23 min ago
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
45 min ago