Bravo lifts Sporting KC to 1-1 draw with Union
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) - September 23, 2011 (WPVI) -- Omar Bravo scored his team-leading ninth goal of the season, and Sporting Kansas City moved back into the MLS' Eastern Conference lead with a 1-1 draw against the Philadelphia Union on Friday night.
Sporting (10-9-11) and Columbus, which hosts Los Angeles on Saturday night, each have 41 points. Kansas City leads the Crew on goal differential, with plus-6 to Columbus' minus-2.
Sebastien Le Toux scored a second-half equalizer for Philadelphia (9-7-13), which moved into third place in the East with 40 points.
Sporting struggled to create opportunities against Philadelphia's packed-in defense through a scoreless first half. But in the 56th minute, Bravo cut in from the right side to take Kei Kamara's long cross from the left wing and bury a right-footed shot in the top of the net from point-blank range.
Kansas City's lead lasted only until the 63rd minute. Philadelphia's Michael Farfan won a loose ball from Sporting's Seth Sinovic at the end line and passed back to Le Toux, who scored with his left foot from 6 yards.
(Copyright 2011 Philadelphia Union. Reprinted by permission)
philadelphia union, soccer
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 54 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos