Red Bulls beat Union to clinch playoff berth
HARRISON, N.J. (AP) - October 20, 2011 (WPVI) -- The New York Red Bulls took advantage of an own goal in the eighth minute to beat the Philadelphia Union 1-0 Thursday night, clinch an MLS playoff spot.
New York (10-8-16), playing without leading scorer Thierry Henry, pulled into a tie with Houston and Colorado with 46 points for the eighth of 10 playoff spots. They will have to wait, however, for the Dynamo and the Rapids to play their respective finales this weekend to determine their exact wildcard seeding.
The Union (11-8-15) remained in second place in the Eastern Conference with 48 points. Though assured of a playoff spot, they could finish as low as fourth in the East and eighth in the playoff seedings depending on the weekend's games.
With Henry sitting out due to a red card in Saturday's loss to Sporting K.C., Dan Richards moved up to forward and headed a cross from Teemu Tainio off the left post. The rebound caromed off diving goalkeeper Fayrd Mondragon's back and in for the only score of the match.
The Red Bulls controlled the play in the first half, and had chances to extend the lead but Mondragon made a leg save against Richards and stopped a point-blank shot by Luke Rodgers late in the half.
New York went into a defensive shell in the second half, the back line marking the Union's forwards tightly. Philadelphia failed to mount a serious threat after that.
(Copyright 2011 Philadelphia Union. Reprinted by permission)
philadelphia union, soccer
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 2 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 1 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
59 min ago