Gomez helps Union beat Crew 1-0
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - April 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gabriel Gomez scored on a penalty kick in the 38th minute and the Philadelphia Union beat the Columbus Crew 1-0 on Saturday.
After Columbus' Eric Gehrig was whistled for a handball in the penalty box, Gomez converted and the Union (1-3-1) held on for their first win this season.
Toronto FC (0-4-0) is the only remaining winless club in Major League Soccer.
It was the second consecutive shutout for Zac MacMath following a scoreless draw with the Vancouver Whitecaps two weeks ago.
Philadelphia played without midfielder Roger Torres (knee surgery) and forward Danny Mwanga (rib contusion). Captain Danny Califf, its central defender, was scratched just before kickoff with a hamstring strain and replaced by rookie Raymon Gaddis.
The Crew (2-3-0) have lost two straight.(Copyright 2011 Philadelphia Union. Reprinted by permission)
philadelphia union, soccer
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 1 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
1 min ago