Gomez helps Union beat Crew 1-0
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) - April 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Gabriel Gomez scored on a penalty kick in the 38th minute and the Philadelphia Union beat the Columbus Crew 1-0 on Saturday.
After Columbus' Eric Gehrig was whistled for a handball in the penalty box, Gomez converted and the Union (1-3-1) held on for their first win this season.
Toronto FC (0-4-0) is the only remaining winless club in Major League Soccer.
It was the second consecutive shutout for Zac MacMath following a scoreless draw with the Vancouver Whitecaps two weeks ago.
Philadelphia played without midfielder Roger Torres (knee surgery) and forward Danny Mwanga (rib contusion). Captain Danny Califf, its central defender, was scratched just before kickoff with a hamstring strain and replaced by rookie Raymon Gaddis.
The Crew (2-3-0) have lost two straight.(Copyright 2011 Philadelphia Union. Reprinted by permission)
philadelphia union, soccer
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose